Google
 

Tuesday 2 January 2007

New Year's Resolutions...

Did I make a New Year’s Resolution? Not really. Usually, when the clock strikes midnight, I’m simply too busy admiring the fireworks, sipping champagne and hugging friends. However, afterwards there are always some thoughts coming up – as there are always things you thought about a hundred times but never got around to actually do. Anyway, there is something I will try my hands on this year: Hosting a really elaborate dinner party!

Sounds weird as some sort of New Year’s resolution? The truth is while I’m enjoying having friends over for dinner, I always tried to focus on a beautiful dessert (most important dish in my opinion) and kept the rest of the menu pretty casual. Sometimes I thought about doing some crazy stuff but chickened out in the end. I really admire people like Bea from La Tartine Gourmande who is capable of producing a dinner so stunning I can hardly imagine ever making on my own… So, what I wanna do this year is this: Improving my organizational skills as well as my plating skills and hosting a sophisticated dinner party – just to see if I got it in the end…

Hey, I just realized that this is actually not what I wanted to tell you in the first place! I did want to share a recipe! After all those Christmas goodies this year – and I also made and ate stuff I haven’t blogged about like that –

and all the alcohol of New Year’s Eve – and I did have my fair share this year, after all we made Feuerzangenbowle – and my sweet start into 2007,

there was the sudden insight to slow down a bit…

In case you want to eat something nice and quick that’s good for you, I highly recommend trying my cucumber soup with yoghurt!

The following recipe dates back to the time when I was studying and sometimes not really knowing what to make out the stuff in my fridge. This concoction sounds a bit weird and maybe doesn’t look extremely great but it’s tasty and very healthy. When I tried it for the first time, I was definitely not sure about it but ended up liking it a lot.

The cucumber is a bit of an uncommon soup ingredient but that’s what makes it all the more interesting. A few spoonfuls of yoghurt add a nice tartness and give the soup a bit more body.

However, I can’t state exact amounts in this recipe as it highly depends on how much is left in your fridge and how much you want to eat. Look at it that way, this recipe is truly foolproof!


Cucumber Soup with Yoghurt

The ingredients

Vegetable stock
Rice (I recommend wholemeal rice)
Cucumber, peeled and cut into quarter pieces
Dill, dried
Freshly ground pepper
Yoghurt (low-fat works fine in here)

1
Bring stock, rice, and dill to the boil and let simmer until rice is soft. Add cucumbers for the last couple of minutes (depending on how crunchy you like it).

2
Season to taste with freshly cracked pepper. Add a few spoonful of yoghurt.
Enjoy!


The source
My own creation

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Eva!!! Greetings from Singapore. I baked a lot just before Christmas and then nothing since then because I am enjoying my mom's home cooked food & desserts. Yummy! (and spending some quality time at the gym to "balance" things out...ha ha). Your goal to host a sofisticated dinner sounds like fun but hard work. However, I have faith in your skills, so I am sure that you will be able to pull it off. I hope you've had a great start to 2007.
- Nora

Eva said...

Hey Nora, that was quick! What a delight to get a new comment right away! And regarding the dinner - I'm pretty sure you're right... That's why I will have to keep it small. But you are already on my guest list as you have had such a big impact on getting me started to blog in the first place. I'll let you know when the fun starts!