Google
 

Tuesday 7 November 2006

Humble Beginnings of a Great Enterprise

Does the world need another food blog? Purists and people with no understanding of the marvels of sweet and savoury discoveries may say “no”. But, as long as there are other food lovers out there, the only real answer to that rather odd question is “yes”. For everyone who can get excited over the 127th way to prepare an apple cake, there are never enough opportunities to share delicious recipes, to stare at mouth-watering pictures and to delight in 1001 tales of food experiences. This food blog – my first attempt at combining an old love with new technology – invites you to continue the tradition of telling stories at the kitchen stove. As I appreciate both sweet and savoury dishes, this food blog will cover both. But to be perfectly honest, I’m a person who judges a new cookbook by the attention given to the dessert section. If chefs use up all their creativity for main courses and their desserts are dull and uninspiring, I never appreciate their creations. You see, when it comes to sweet things, I can be pretty serious. So this food blog will pay slightly more attention to cakes, tarts and biscuits, as well as to mousse, ice-cream, fruity desserts and other kinds of sweet treats.

My intention is to present sophisticated but uncomplicated recipes that are interesting for experienced food lovers as well as easy to follow for kitchen novices. I have never quite understood the saying that baking is more difficult than cooking because you have to stick strictly to recipe – otherwise you will end up with an inedible concoction. In my opinion, there is not much difference between the two disciplines: As a beginner, it might be better to follow the instructions – but as soon as you gain some experience, you will be able to anticipate the result of slight or major changes. I like to experiment: Switching ingredients according to my pantry, combining two different recipes or simply changing my mind and trying something new. So, follow my recipes step-by-step and follow your own imagination. Feel the excitement of so many still-undiscovered possibilities about food – this is what this food blog intends to show.

"Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises."
Demosthenes

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is always room for another food blog!
Can't wait to see all your other mouth watering creations!

Anonymous said...

Eva! I am so happy that your blog is finally on-line. Since I have tasted first had how yummy your desserts have been, I am really looking forward to reading more about your baking creations and adventures.

- NORA

Anonymous said...

"...when it comes to sweet things, I can be pretty serious."

Well, a very honest and precise confession, I must say. I think you are the only person I know who would visit Paris - ville d'amour et de lumière - checking all the local bakeries while forgetting to visit the Eiffel Tower...

No, no, I'm not complaining, just wanted to confirm that you are a real pro in sweet sins... :-)

Greetings from good old Germany!
Tobi