Google
 

Tuesday 20 November 2007

Playing around with Light and Shadow ...and Noodles

When reading about Anh's quest for the perfect photo picturing noodles, I thought I better hurry or this food photo competition will finish without me... Having not much time left, there was no way I could create a beautiful and elaborate dish as Anh did. Not that I don't eat noodles all the time but so far I could never get these sloppy little bastards to really look good... Or maybe was I just too hungry and started shoveling in straight away? Well, let's not get into details, right?

So I had to come up with something different. Luckily, I had been reading the food photography lessons Nika and Curt are currently putting together - thanks so much for all your effort, guys! In lesson #2 Nika had shown a wonderful picture of a tomatilla plant on a black background. I used her technique: the noodles dangle from a coat hanger on strings that were later stamped out in Photoshop. Playing around with this set-up was great fun, however, I now think that Nika's green plant is more suited to this play with light and shadow than noodles. Nonetheless, I like this picture and I hope that some of the people looking at the click gallery will like it, too!

PS: One of the links was wrong, now you'll find lesson #2!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! I think you did a fantastic job with the noodles.

Crossing my fingers for you in the competition!

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to get some black velvet for a long time now and this post makes me irritated I haven't done it yet. It really suck up all background light. Terrific.

Katy said...

oh wow, that looks amazing!

Sagari said...

awsome picture

Anh said...

Eva, this is soooo fun! I will remember to try this myself when I am in the mood for food photography.... :D Right now I am getting a bit lazy with set up and all (too hot?)

bee said...

thanks, eva, for a beautiful entry. you have an e-mail at your .de ID.

Nora B. said...

Wow, Eva! That's looks fantastic - the pasta spirals look like they are about to fall down and bounce right back up! Sounds like you had fun - it's great to learn new tricks.

Indonesia Eats said...

Wva, this is so cool... i love it

Eva said...

Thank you, Nika, a compliment from you is really appreciated!

Christina - Using a black background can get addictive, I can tell you! BTW, I just used black carton in case you can't get black velvet.

Thanks TBC, Katy, and Sagari - I'm glad you like it!

Anh, you always do such an amazing job, can't imagine you slowing down!

Bee - Thanks for letting me hop on the very last minute..;-)

Thanks Nora! Yes, it was really great to try something new (and it didn't even take very long).

Kribha said...

Looks gorgeous. Good luck. Hope you win.

Eva said...

Thank you, Andamalin, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Thank you very much for your wishes, Kribha! I'd love to win but there are quite a few lovely entries...

Raks said...

I loved ur phothography and one of my vote is to you...:)

Eva said...

Thanks so much for your vote, Rak! Maybe, maybe, it'll work out..;-)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

I love this picture. It looks like you've captured falling noodles Well done!

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Eva, with this event I have discovered your blog. What a lovely space you have here. I love your entry and it truly captures the spirit of Pasta!

Eva said...

Thank you, Lynn! I've had a lot of fun capturing it!

Welcome, Meeta, feel free to have a thorough look around! I'm always excited when I get first time visitors!

Anonymous said...

Ditto to what Meeta said!

Congrats, Eva!

Eva said...

Thank you, Manisha! I just found out that I actually won in two categories!

Bharathy said...

Congrats Eva!!
A Brilliant shot and nice of you to share the secret behind it too :)

Padmaja said...

Eva!!
Congrats for winning the click event!!
Your capture was amazing!!

bee said...

congrats, eva!!

Mansi said...

A great concept and nicely captured by you Eva! Congrats on the award...I'm heading to read the lessons you've mentioned:)

sunita said...

Eva, heartyu congratulations on winning 'click'...it was a great capture indeed!

Eva said...

Thank you, Bharathy! I thought that people would want to know how to do this.

Thanks Padmaja! I'm still surprised that so many people liked it!

Bee, thanks again for hosting such an event!

Mansi Desai - I can only encourage you, the lessons are really good!

Thank you, Sunita, I'm glad to hear that!