Google
 

Monday 28 May 2007

Mocha Panettone...

...with dark chocolate and pine nuts. Sounds good, doesn't it? Unfortunately, taste wise, the result was nothing short of a disappointment. There had been a little voice inside my head, asking if it really was such a good idea to use instant coffee as the main flavouring. However, the recipe said so - the accompanying picture was appealing enough - and I love these sweet yeast breads.

After the first slice it was already obvious that I didn't want to eat the whole loaf on its own. The coffee flavour was terrible, the texture was rather dry - and the chunks of dark chocolate definitely couldn't make up for that. But I didn't want to throw away the whole thing either. After all, besides the instant coffee, lots of good ingredients had been used to make this rather bland bread. So I had to think of something else to do with it...stay tuned!

Note: So far, it was the first and only recipe from the Bread Machine Kitchen Handbook that wasn't a success. Assuming that no one will want to try this particular recipe, I won't bother posting it.

7 comments:

Nora B. said...

Eva, sorry it didn't turn out the way you hoped. It looks very pretty though. Turning it into bread and butter pudding might be a good idea. That way it solves the dryness problem plus you can add some sort of flavouring if you want.

Eva said...

That's really funny - you already guessed what I did! This way, it was really enjoyable - will post about it tomorrow!

Nora B. said...

Eva, I just looked at your Flick-R photos, and I see that you many many wonderful things to blog about. I am drooling...

Eva said...

Yes, there's a lot I would like to tell you about - but I'm fearing the worst: My laptop is collapsing...

Patricia Scarpin said...

Eva, although you didn't like the flavor, it looks really good. I was wondering if you baked it in a panettone paper mold or something similar.

By the way, your blog is fantastic. I'm sure there will be tons of great recipes coming. :)

Helene said...

At least it made for a great picture...

Eva said...

Patricia - Happy to hear that you enjoy my blog! I didn't have a proper panettone mold so I used a small spring form instead (20cm in diameter) and made a paper collar - but as you can see the form is too wide for a proper panettone.

Helen - Thank you! That was my only consolation - I could use it for the StillLifeWith-group on flickr!