Google
 

Monday 7 July 2008

Sprouted Rye Berries or how to forget about a deadline

Sorry - I know this photo is anything but mouth-watering... However, it shows my first ever attempt at sprouting grains. Thanks to this helpful fellow food blogger, I got some much needed advise on this topic. Unfortunately, due to a work project I completely forgot about the little buggers - until they looked like that.

Having first worried about my rye berries not wanting to sprout at all, they obviously proved me wrong about their ability to jump to life when watered. Little did I know that they would even continue to sprout when placed in a dry container in the fridge. By then, the deadline to this food blog event was almost over and I wasn't sure at all if these little guys were still edible. Frankly, this whole sprouting business is still a bit of a mystery to me... However, if you want to learn more about it, have a look at this!

In the end, I decided to give last month's Bread Baking Day a miss - sorry Zorra - but do check all the truly brave bakers who conquered the topic, sprouting and all! I'll be back with the July edition that doesn't scare me half as much as the last one! Maybe I'll finally learn how to bake perfectly crusty bread rolls!

10 comments:

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Eva,
I tried twice with bean sprouts without success, now I'm buying them in the shop... :)

Have a nice day, Margot

Engineer Baker said...

I don't know, but in my mind, those are mouthwatering. And if it makes you feel better, I made the time to sprout wheat berries, bake a bread, and post about it, but forgot to send an email so I could be included in the roundup - D'oh!

ostwestwind said...

Kein Schimmel nur feine Wurzelhärchen, die hättest du auch noch verbacken können ;-), wie ich schrieb, einfach hacken...

Aber wenn du wieder einen Brotbacktipp brauchst, immer wieder gerne

Ulrike from Küchenlatein

Helene said...

Anything that sprouts makes me happy! Think about all the possibilties now!

Nora B. said...

Growing anything makes me excited! So, I think your sprouts are pretty cool. Doesn't matter that it didn't make it into a bread. There is always next time as well :-)

nora

Aimée said...

Too funny! Well, better luck next time!

Y said...

I wanted to take part in that event too, as sprouting was new to me, but ran out of time. What did you end up doing with your rye that sprouted?

By the way, 'pudding' to me usually indicates something people have for dessert - as in a plated dessert. I guess they are traditionally steamed, but I quite like baked puddings also :)
Cake is more like a tea-time type of treat.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Things don't always work out the way we plan them.
So I'm looking forward to seeing your variety of small breads, Eva.:)

Chibog in Chief said...

absolutely beautiful photos!! i wanna try sprouting too one of these days :-)

Eva said...

Hi Margot, this whole sprouting business is still a mystery to me, too...

Engineer Baker - at least you pulled it off, congratulations!

Hallo Ulrike, zu bloed, dass mir das erst hinterher auffiel. Meine Sprossen spriessen immer noch froehlich vor sich hin...

Tartelette - you're right - if I'm ever able to finish this project...

Nora, I really hope so!

Thanks Aimee!

Y - well, I just posted about it... Now these sprouts seem to grow into a personification of failure..;-)

Aparna, I've just realized that this deadline is coming up, too, need to work fast now!

Thank you, Dhanggit - I hope you'll be going better with it than I did!